Here’s a workout I do every other week instead of a cardio day. The routine focuses on explosive athletic strength in the legs and back, two very important muscle groups for athletes. It’ll also kill your shoulders, too. So here it is:
Start with a dynamic warm-up with sprints, dynamic stretching, and some body weight squats.
1. Deep Explosive Squats: 2 sets of 4 reps (medium weight with medium rest intervals) right into 4 sets of 2 reps (as heavy as you can go with long rest intervals focusing on a deep squat with good form)
2. Hang Cleans: 5 x 5 (medium high weight with medium rest intervals)
3. Box Jumps: (Medium High) 8 jumps back to back for 5 sets (medium to long rest intervals)
4. Single Dumbbell Clean: 4 x 6 (high weight with long rest intervals)
5. Rope Slam Medley: 30 slams each – alternating wave, crossover waves, double rope power slam (short to medium rest intervals)
6. Dumbbell Farmers Carry: 3 – 30 yard walks (heavy weight with medium rest intervals)